Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Gavin's Baby Dedication


Our sweet Gavin was dedicated to the Lord in during our Sunday morning church service this past weekend. Several of Joe's family members and some of our dear friends were on-hand to join us for the time of dedication. The following is what I wrote and read that day:

As I listened to Gavin sing to himself in his crib last night, I marveled at how this little person has become such an important part of our family in just 14 short months. I was taking a quiet moment to reflect on the sweet ways he has added to our lives when the singing stopped abruptly and Gavin began yelling, “Hey! Hey!” Over and over and over again.

There’s nothing like a new baby to get your attention. And there’s nothing like a first baby to bring dramatic change to the lives of a couple used to living “on the go.” It’s remarkable that God has entrusted Gavin to Joe and me, and even in the short amount of time he has been with us, we can see how our lives intersect, intertwine, and impact each others on a daily basis. Having a child has made it much easier for me to realize the extent of God’s love for us, as I now feel such a powerful love for Gavin. Whether he’s turning his yogurt upside down on his head or planting wet, sloppy kisses on my face, I’d like to think that there’s nothing I wouldn’t do for this little boy.

But there are challenges in parenting as well. Parenting requires us to die to ourselves, to exhibit an ultimate lack of selfishness. This has been personally tough for me since it has required me to alter many parts of my life and take on a new role—the role of a mom. But the good news is that the moment Gavin was born, God changed the course of my life in a unique way. I’m still on a journey, but now I’m holding a little boy’s hand.

Author Gary Thomas says, “Understanding God’s joy in his own creation is one of the more profound spiritual experiences we will ever know. Mothers and fathers, when you give your tiny infant a bath, you are washing God’s baby. Pause a moment in your busy day and look up to heaven. When you minister to that youngster, can you imagine God smiling down at you?”

And I do feel that God is smiling down on us today as Joe and I join with you--our family, friends, and church home to ask for your prayers as we dedicate Gavin to Him. We appreciate so much the support you have given us and Joe and I are thankful for the Godly influences that Gavin will have in his life as he grows up.

2 comments:

Roxanne said...

beautifully said, and an encouragment to me who is struggling right now. Thanks for sharing and congrats!!

Rose said...

Yeah, so very true and nice. I understand the dying to self - it's challenging sometimes.