Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Away from Home





I went to Philly recently to work at a Harvest event. My trip marked the first time I left my little guy overnight and I was pretty nervous about how he would do...and how I would do. It turns out we both did fine. Apart from me forgetting some of my breast pump parts and having to go 17 hours between pumps (can we say OUCH!), I was so busy working that I didn't have time to call home every two hours like I originally thought I would. And Gavs had a great time with his daddy and grandparents, spending much of his weekend in a swing, laughing his head off.

I didn't do much of local interest in Philadelphia, which isn't really like me. But I was so tired from working late each night that I had little interest in doing anything except having breakfast with friends a couple of mornings and going to staff devotions. I can't tell you how refreshing it was to attend morning devotions three days in a row. It was great to listen to the messages and participate in worship (even by the Katinas one morning)--something that is not easily done with an infant. This was actually the most rejuvinating part of being away from home.

I did, however, find time to go to the Reading Terminal Market, which is a fantastic food market that sells just about any cuisine you can imagine. A bunch of us went to the Amish pancake place and ate delicious blueberry pancakes. Several of the booths were run by Amish families, which was interesting.

Happily, I was reunited with my sweet husband and baby after four days away, and Gavs actually reached his arms out and hugged my neck and gave me a sloppy open-mouthed kiss on the cheek. Oh, I just love those boys!

1 comment:

Rose said...

that first shot is to die for! I'm glad you reunited with them! As for the pump - double-ouch!!!