Tuesday, November 20, 2007

And the Baby is a....



Oh, sorry! I can't reveal that information until Thanksgiving when I tell my family in Utah in person! But I will post it as soon as possible. And if you're not following this, you probably don't know that I had my first ultrasound yesterday at 20 weeks and yes, we did decide to find out the gender.

A bit about the scan. Joe and I arrived at ENH at 10 a.m. for the ultrasound II and soon found ourselves in an exam room all ready to go. Our technician was really nice and explained everything we were looking at. Surprisingly, everything seemed pretty clear to us and we were pleased to recognize the feet, heart, head, arms, just all of the little bitty parts. After about 30 minutes of prodding (Baby McG did NOT want to show us a face shot!), it was declard that the baby was "looking good," with no apparent signs of problems. Praise God! The only downside, for me at least, was finding out that I have a 6 cm fibroid that may prohibit natural birth since it is presently blocking the birth canal. This means that a c-section could be in my near future, but the doctor will reassess at 32 weeks to find out if the uterus has grown enough to allow the baby to get by the dumb fibroid. If not, it looks like I will be scheduling Baby McG's birth, but it is too soon to know at this point.

I spent a restless night worrying and feeling a bit depressed about the potential c-section and potential surgery down the road to remove the fibroid. The fibroid is presently just where the c-section incision should go, but there are definitely alternate ways to do a c-section and, as my doctor reminded me, she spent 12 years in higher education to leaern those techniques. So, thanks for joining us in praying that the fibroid would either disappear (Yay! First choice!), shrink, or move. As I mentioned, we have 12 more weeks before a decision needs to be made about how I will give birth, but I am still praying for this to be resolved quickly and for NO pain in the meantime.

Now back to the best news at hand...celebrating a healthy child!

A funny story to close. A friend of mine, who shall remain nameless, is also pregnant and had her ultrasound a few weeks ago. After her scan, a nurse talked to her about being part of a study for measuring the cervix to find out if there is a correlation in size and pre-term labor. The study only took a few minutes but required a transvaginal scan (fun). She agreed to be part of the study and while she was lying in the exam room participating in the study, the research nurse handed her a folded up $10 bill and thanked her for participating. "I felt so cheap," she said. Well, during my ultrasound yesterday, guess who offered me cash money??? Those research nurses really get around.

1 comment:

Roxanne said...

you got cash for what? I want yoru doctor- they poded and stuck adn molested me with everything adn I never got so much as a dinner or a coupon- I want yoru Dr!!