



This past weekend was the most beautiful Chicago weekend I can remember. The sky was stunningly blue, the grass was technicolor green, and the weather was in the high 70s with a cool breeze off the lake serving as a massive outdoor air conditioner keeping everything cool. What could be better on such a weekend than biking to the Botanic Gardens? Well, Joe said that, not me, but I'm happy to say I went along with his plan.
After some much-needed coffee, Joe and I drove a couple of miles from our home to what we would call a "trailhead" in Denver to park our car and unload our bikes. Despite the flying cicadas, the ride from Wilmette to the Botanic Gardens near Highland Park was simply stunning. The path wasn't heavily traveled on Saturday at noon, so we rode the six miles leisurely, enjoying the wooded trail and views of the Skokie Lagoons. Upon arrival at the gardens, we enjoyed lunch on the patio before walking the grounds and stumbling upon an outdoor cooking demonstration by the chef at Atwater Cafe. We learned how to make lemon scones and raspberry jam, all the while watching the demo in small outdoor amphitheater. Yummy and fun!
We also had the opportunity to take a peek at a few weddings at the gardens and saw no fewer than four bridal parties taking photos and celebrating. Who doesn't love a June bride?
The bike ride home from the Botanic Gardens was a bit more eventful when the basket fell off my bike and we had to McGyver it to the frame with a camera strap (yes, I'm happy to say that my Girl Scout skills came in handy on the trail...I am SO outdoorsy...). It took us a little more than an hour to complete the six mile ride, but hey, I'm a girl with a basket on her bike, not Lance Armstrong.

No comments:
Post a Comment