Today is Memorial Day--a time to remember U.S. soldiers, past and present. Many of those soldiers are in my family, so I am grateful.
This weekend has been fun. Friday proved to be a non-work day since my phone wasn't ringing and my e-mail wasn't producing any urgent demands (hurray!), so I "played hooky" with my friend, Karen. We checked out a new burger joint in Evanston called Uber Burger, and it was very yummy, if not packed. Try the chipotle ketchup on whichever burger you order. Good stuff. We followed our burgers with ice cream from Homer's and a pleasant sit in the sun.
Saturday found me trudging through downtown Chicago in the rain, searching for the perfect bike shorts for Bike the Drive. Hmmm..."Do I really want my backside to look any bigger?" I kept asking myself. Bike the Drive is America's biggest car-free annual ride, and takes place on Lake Shore Drive. All car traffic is banished from the drive from 5 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. once a year for the express purpose of allowing bikers to ride along this beautiful road. Those of you who know me can probably barely contain a giggle or two trying to imagine me biking some 15 miles and getting up at 5:20 a.m. to do so. Yeah, I'm the girl that gets motivated to go to the gym by the dream of a cup of coffee at the end of my workout. Sad! But that is how I found myself buying bike shorts in the rain on Saturday.
After a long day of walking the city, Joe and I met up with Co and O for an early dinner at Feed. A fairly new restaurant, Feed is all about Southern cooking. The chicken and sides were good, and I'm sure that fried okra was good carbo-loading for the bike ride.
Here is where I have to admit I was a bit nervous about BTD. The thought of riding more than three or four miles seemed so daunting--especially since we planned a one-way ride home sans motor vehicles. But something wonderful happened. Once our group of four peddled onto Lake Shore Drive, I was filled with the wonderment of being able to ride at my own pace and visually explore the beautiful buildings that make Chicago great. It drizzzled lightly for a few minutes when we first joined the ride, but that kept the weather cool. By the time we rolled off the course at Bryn Mar, the sun was making a valiant attempt at a breakthrough.
So I did it. I rode my bike from the museum campus downtown, through Andersonville, and back to Evanston. I sure am glad I had those bike shorts.
This weekend has been fun. Friday proved to be a non-work day since my phone wasn't ringing and my e-mail wasn't producing any urgent demands (hurray!), so I "played hooky" with my friend, Karen. We checked out a new burger joint in Evanston called Uber Burger, and it was very yummy, if not packed. Try the chipotle ketchup on whichever burger you order. Good stuff. We followed our burgers with ice cream from Homer's and a pleasant sit in the sun.
Saturday found me trudging through downtown Chicago in the rain, searching for the perfect bike shorts for Bike the Drive. Hmmm..."Do I really want my backside to look any bigger?" I kept asking myself. Bike the Drive is America's biggest car-free annual ride, and takes place on Lake Shore Drive. All car traffic is banished from the drive from 5 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. once a year for the express purpose of allowing bikers to ride along this beautiful road. Those of you who know me can probably barely contain a giggle or two trying to imagine me biking some 15 miles and getting up at 5:20 a.m. to do so. Yeah, I'm the girl that gets motivated to go to the gym by the dream of a cup of coffee at the end of my workout. Sad! But that is how I found myself buying bike shorts in the rain on Saturday.
After a long day of walking the city, Joe and I met up with Co and O for an early dinner at Feed. A fairly new restaurant, Feed is all about Southern cooking. The chicken and sides were good, and I'm sure that fried okra was good carbo-loading for the bike ride.
Here is where I have to admit I was a bit nervous about BTD. The thought of riding more than three or four miles seemed so daunting--especially since we planned a one-way ride home sans motor vehicles. But something wonderful happened. Once our group of four peddled onto Lake Shore Drive, I was filled with the wonderment of being able to ride at my own pace and visually explore the beautiful buildings that make Chicago great. It drizzzled lightly for a few minutes when we first joined the ride, but that kept the weather cool. By the time we rolled off the course at Bryn Mar, the sun was making a valiant attempt at a breakthrough.
So I did it. I rode my bike from the museum campus downtown, through Andersonville, and back to Evanston. I sure am glad I had those bike shorts.

2 comments:
Oww! Me and bike seats don't get along - but glad you had a fun time. Say hi to Oprah for me.
What a fun weekend! Congrats on Bike the Drive!!
Post a Comment